Scuba Diving in Belize
Long Caye Dive and Gift Shop is located just down the beach from Slickrock’s facility. Guests often take time off from our activities to go scuba diving. In addition to dives for certified divers, the dive shop provides one-half day courses that permit non-divers to train and continue to dive for the rest of the week. Advanced scuba courses are also available. Long Caye Dive Shop is a full-service PADI training facility.
Certified Dive Parameters
- Certified divers MUST present their cards and attend a check-out session. You must remember your cards or you will not be able to dive!
- Published dive rates are updated periodically and could change at anytime.
- All prices listed in U.S. dollars
- Prices include tank, air, weights with belt, boat transport, Dive Master
- All diving and rental equipment must be paid for on location with cash, Visa or MasterCard. Neither American Express nor Traveler’s Checks are accepted.
- There is a 12.5% Belize Sales Tax on all dives, gear rental, and courses in addition to the prices listed here. This rate could change without notice.
- Gratuities are not includes in prices and are greatly appreciated by the dive staff. Tips have to be in cash, they cannot be put onto a credit card.
Diving Belize at Glover’s Reef
- All dives are wall dives and guided from boats; no shore diving allowed. Average boat ride to dive site is 2 – 10 minutes.
- Average length of dive is 35-50 minutes in bottom time.
- Dive group size is 2-8 guests.
- Single divers are guaranteed a buddy because a Dive Master accompanies every dive
- Divers are grouped together. If only one person is interested in diving, diving may not be offered every time the single diver wants to go. For example, if only one person wants to dive for a full week, it would not be possible for them to dive 3 times a day (each dive requires 2 staff members + gasoline).
- If you are a certified diver but have not been diving in a long time, you can take the Discover Scuba course as a refresher. If the course is already being offered to others, they will allow certified divers to sit in on the lecture portion for free.
- Divers supply their own mask, fins, snorkel
- Weights are simple strap belts with 2, 3 and 4 lb. weights threaded onto the belt. They are provided for all divers, but are not available for rent for non-diving activities
- Wetsuits are provided for all courses (very limited sizes available), and are available to rent for certified divers, but are not available to rent for non-diving activities (ie snorkeling)
- Limited dive lights are available to rent for night scuba dives, but cannot be guaranteed available for all, you should bring your own light if you want to night dive. Dive lights are not available to rent to snorkelers
- Dive locations, time of dives, and duration of dives will be at the discretion of dive shop management
- Diving is often unavailable on Saturday, this is a transfer day and staff may not be available to take guests diving
The PADI Medical Form must be filled out by every new diver or dive student regardless of what dive class they are taking with us, or their age.
This 2 page form asks about many ailments and illnesses, and any “yes” answered on this form without an accompanying doctor’s signature will mean that guests will not be eligible to take any dive class with us. Areas of concern for diving fitness include: diabetes, respiratory problems, circulation problems, heart problems, major surgery, and asthma. There are real risks of diving with certain medical conditions.
If a person can honestly answer “no” to every single question on the form, then no doctor’s signature is required, and guests may complete the form when here. If a “yes” is answered on the form, a doctor’s signature is required, which would have to be filled out by the doctor and signed prior to coming on the trip.
PADI does not require certified divers to fill out this form prior to diving, unless taking a class or if they have had a medical issue or change in health since they originally got certified to dive. If there are any questions at all, it is recommended you fill out the form in advance and get a doctor’s signature on the form if you want to dive and you have any possible medical concerns.
A guardian or parent will need to sign all dive documents, liability releases etc for any child under the age of 18, prior to that child diving or taking a PADI course with us.
Diving for Kids
Kids ages 8 and 9 may take the Bubblemaker course which has a 6-foot depth limit and takes one-half day.
Kids who are already certified, who are ages 10 or older, can dive while here.
Kids ages 10 and 11 who wish to take a dive course with us, either Discover Scuba or a Certification Course, may be able to, if the parent/guardian feel the child is capable and if our Dive Instructor feels the child is capable.
Kids ages 12 and over may get certified to dive, or take the one-half day Discover Scuba course if they wish.
Non-divers or snorkelers will not be able to join divers on the boat while divers are diving or taking courses. Therefore, single parents may not go scuba diving unless they have another adult in their party that can supervise their kids while they dive.
If the child is in a dive course, he will not be able to dive with his parents until he is certified, unless the parents are also students in the same course. During courses students must dive with a Dive Instructor while certified divers dive with a Dive Master. The two groups may share the boat ride to a dive, but they will not be diving together. Also, when the student is doing skills with the Instructor, we have found in the past that having family members along who are just watching and not taking the course at the same time tend to distract from the lesson. After the course is completed, the child will be certified and then they can all dive together as certified divers.
See the section above about required PADI Medical Form, which must be signed by a parent.
Belize Scuba Courses
Looking for a scuba diving school in Belize? Our island dive shop, located just down the beach from Slickrock’s facility on Long Caye, is a PADI scuba center with tanks, compressor, and two dive boats. Guests often take time off from our activities to go scuba diving. In addition to dives for certified divers, they provide Discover Scuba/Resort courses that permit non-divers to train and continue to dive for the rest of the week. They also offer many advanced scuba courses. Long Caye Dive Shop is a certified member of the PADI International Resort Association and is a full-service PADI training facility.